Films & Other Videos
Films with: Portillo, Lourdes
- Corpus a home movie for Selena /
- Corpus focuses on Selena's fans on both sides of the border, who saw her as a symbol of hope and cultural pride. Includes interviews with personal friends, family, and fans, intercut with archival footage of performances and appearances at awards ceremonies, and news coverage about her murder and the memorial service in Corpus Christi.
- DVD 4938
- Devil never sleeps El diablo nunca duerme /
- Lourdes Portillo examines her uncle Oscar Ruiz's life and events surrounding his death through interviews with his relatives and friends.
- DVD 6998
- Films of Lourdes Portillo a personal journey /
- Independent filmmaker Lourdes Portillo will discuss the personal journey she's taken through her work, which includes the 1981 Oscar-nominated documentary, Las Madres: The Mothers of Plaza de Mayo. Portillo, who says her mission is "channeling the hopes and dreams of people," is a Mexican-born, Chicana-identified artist whose films examine Latino identity. Her work, which shows a deep political commitment to human rights and social justice, has been lauded across the film and television world, from Sundance to the Emmy Awards.
- DVD 7642
- My McQueen
- The legacy of actor Steve McQueen in San Francisco after "Bullitt", McQueen's classic 1968 detective film, with producer/director Lourdes Portillo and cinematographer Kyle Kibbe for the The Center for New Documentary, Graduate School of Journalism, University of California, Berkeley. Includes a compilation of automobile chase scenes from Hollywood films.
- DVD 6999
- Ofrenda the Days of the Dead /
- Documents Mexican and Mexican American observances of Los Días de Muertos. Emphasizes the enduring meaningfulness of practices and beliefs regarding death which appear pre-Columbian in origin.
- DVD 8191