Films & Other Videos
Films with: Ōshima, Nagisa
- In the realm of the senses
- Based on one of Japan's most notorious scandals, this erotic masterpiece is the story of an ex-prostitute who becomes involved in an obsessive love affair with the master of the household where she is employed as a servant.
- DVD 4327
- Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence
- In a Japanese prison camp on Java in 1942, two British officers, John Lawrence and Jack Celliers, encounter camp commander Yonoi and his sergeant Hara. Things had been going pretty well, until charismatic, rebellious Celliers arrived. Yonoi is a devotee of the samurai ideal; neither he nor Hara can understand the stoic way in which the British prisoners accept their situation of defeat. Lawrence speaks Japanese, and ceaselessly tries to mediate between the prisoners and their overseers, translating both the words and the values of the two races. Celliers' attitude, however, is more comprehensible to Yonoi. He and Celliers arrive at a sort of détente, based on an admiration for the other, but this eventually turns into a contest of wills as the camp's carefully nurtured equilibrium is destroyed.
- DVD 8567
- Seven samurai
- Tells the story of a sixteenth-century village whose desperate inhabitants hire seven out-of-work warriors to protect them from invading bandits.
- DVD 6