Films & Other Videos
Films with: Noda, Kōgo
- Bakushū Early summer /
- The Mamiya family is seeking a husband for their daughter, Noriko, but she has ideas of her own.
- DVD 3365
- Ohayō Good morning /
- Satiric comedy in which two young brothers refuse to talk until their parents agree to buy them a television set. Set in a 1950s residential suburb of Tokyo.
- DVD 1683
- Tōkyō monogatari Tokyo story /
- Tokyo Story follows an aging couple, Tomi and Sukichi, on their journey from their rural village to visit their two married children in bustling, post-war Tokyo. Their reception is disappointing: too busy to entertain them, their children send them off to a health spa. After Tomi falls ill she and Sukichi return home, while the children, grief-stricken, hasten to be with her.
- DVD 3386
- Tōkyō no kōrasu
- His son wants a bicycle, his daughter a balloon, his wife just wants to have financial stability. Low wage-earning dad Okajima is counting on his bonus to make ends meet. His wife and children also eagerly await the additional money. But payday doesn't go exactly as planned.
- DVD 8509
- An aging actor returns to the town where his son lives, who has believed all these years that he is his uncle rather than his father.
- DVD 8127
- Ukigusa monogatari A story of floating weeds /
- In 1959, Yasujiro Ozu remade his 1934 silent film: A Story of Floating Weeds in color and sound with the cinematographer Kazuo Miyagawa (Rashomon, Ugetsu). Setting his later version in a seaside location, Ozu otherwise preserves the details of his elegantly simple plot wherein an aging actor returns to a small town with his troupe and reunities with his former lover and illegitimate son, a scenario that enrages his current mistress and results in heartbreak for all. A Story of Floating Weeds reveals Ozu in the midst of developing his mode of expression; Floating weeds reveals his distinct style at its pinnacle. In each, the director captures the joy and sadness in everyday life.
- DVD 4584