Films & Other Videos
Films with: Nelson, Stanley
- Black Panthers vanguard of the revolution /
- The first feature-length documentary to explore the Black Panther Party, its significance to the broader American culture, its cultural and political awakening for black people, and the painful lessons wrought when a movement derails.
- DVD 11519
- Freedom riders
- The story of the integrated group of college students who decided in the spring of 1961 to ride a Greyhound bus from Washington, D.C. to New Orleans to bring attention to racial inequity in the United States. Recounts the hostile reception they received in the segregated South, the support they gradually achieved from civil rights leaders and organizations, and how their actions eventually forced the United States government to enforce the law regarding desegregation in interstate travel and public accommodations.
- DVD 8838
- Jonestown The life and death of Peoples Temple /
- Uses news film and interviews with ex-cult members and survivors of the mass suicide to tell the story of Jim Jones.
- DVD 5114
- Shattering the silences the case for minority faculty /
- Explores issues of faculty diversity in American higher education in the mid-1990s, focusing on the experience of eight minority scholars in the humanities and social sciences at various institutions.
- DVD 7785
- We shall remain America through native eyes /
- "They were charismatic and forward thinking, imaginative and courageous, compassionate and resolute, and, at times, arrogant, vengeful and reckless. For hundreds of years, Native American leaders from Massasoit, Tecumseh, and Tenskwatawa, to Major Ridge, Geronimo, and Fools Crow valiantly resisted expulsion from their lands and fought the extinction of their culture. Sometimes, their strategies were militaristic, but more often they were diplomatic, spiritual, legal and political ... These five documentaries spanning almost four hundred years tell the story of pivotal moments in U.S. history from the Native American perspective, upending two-dimensional stereotypes of American Indians as simply ferocious warriors or peaceable lovers of the land" -- Container.
- DVD 6626