Films & Other Videos
Films with: Kushner, Tony
- Angels in America
- Set in 1985. Revolves around two very different men with AIDS, one fictional, one fictionalized. Roy Cohn, personifies all the hypocrisy, delusion and callousness of the official response to the plague. Nothing shakes Roy's lack of empathy: even on his death bed, he's fighting with his gay nurse and taunting the woman he helped put to death, Ethel Rosenberg. The other patient is Prior Walter, who is visited by an angel and deserted by his self-pitying lover, Louis. Louis moves on to a relationship with Joe Pitt, a Mormon lawyer whose closeted homosexuality drives his wife to delusions and brings his mother to New York.
- DVD 3105
- A revealing drama that focuses on the 16th president's tumultuous final months in office. In a nation divided by war and the strong winds of change, Lincoln pursues a course of action designed to end the war, unite the country, and abolish slavery. With the moral courage and fierce determination to succeed, his choices during this critical moment will change the fate of generations to come.
- DVD 9532
- Making the boys
- "Explores the drama, struggle, and enduring legacy of the first-ever gay play and subsequent Hollywood movie to successfully reach a mainstream audience. The boys in the band sparked heated controversy that still exists four decades later. Featuring anecdotes from the surviving cast and filmmakers"--Container.
- DVD 8614
- It's the 1972 Olympics and PLO terrorists have just kidnapped and murdered 11 Israeli athletes. After the tragic incident is over and several of the terrorists have gone free, the Israeli government of Golda Meir recruits Avner to lead a team of undercover agents to hunt down those responsible throughout Europe, and eliminate them one-by-one. It is physically and emotionally messy work, and conflicts between Avner and his team's handler, Ephraim, over information Avner doesn't want to provide only make things harder. Soon the work starts to take its toll on Avner, especially as it becomes clear that Avner is being hunted in return, and that his family's safety may be in jeopardy.
- DVD 4591
- Theater of war
- An examination of Bertolt Brecht's "Mother Courage and her children", and the political philosophies the play represents. Preparing for The Public Theater's 2006 production of Brecht's anti-war play, Meryl Streep allows a camera crew to document her rehearsal process and interest in the work. Moreover, the life and times of Brecht himself are followed, most notably the playwrites' escape from Nazi Germany, subsequent exile, testimony to the House Un-American Activities Committee, and his eventual return to the country where the play was first staged. Along with backstage scenes and discussion by theatre notables such as Tony Kushner and Streep's costar Kevin Kline, the documentary seeks to depict the history and inspirations underlying the play's themes.
- DVD 8493