Films & Other Videos
Films with: Cortez, Ricardo
- Columbia Pictures pre-code collection
- Ten cents a dance: Barbara, a dance hall girl, marries Eddie, who turns out to be a compulsive gambler. Barbara turns to a former suitor and dance hall owner, Bradley Carlton, for help. Arizona: Bob Denton, a West Point football star, discovers that his commanding officer is married to his former girlfriend, a woman bent on revenge after he jilted her. Three wise girls: An innocent small-town girl trades her soda fountain job for a modeling job in New York. She quickly learns the ropes and perils of big city life, along with her wisecracking roommate and a fellow model. Shopworn: Kitty is a waitress who falls in love with Dave, a wealthy college student. Dave's high-society mother has a trumped-up morals charge made up against her. After leaving the reformatory, Kitty becomes a showgirl, and she meets Dave again. Virtue: An honest, enterprising taxi driver mistakes a prostitute for an unemployed stenographer. After a whirlwind courtship and marriage, the woman's past comes back to haunt her when a duplicitous acquaintance implicates her in a sordid affair.
- DVD 9013
- Fannie Hurst's Symphony of six million
- "Symphony of Six Million follows a young Jewish doctor (Ricardo Cortez) who turns his back on his ghetto upbringing -- and on his crippled sweetheart (Irene Dunne) -- to make his fortune as a Park Avenue surgeon. Then tragedy strikes, forcing him to examine his life and rediscover his better self"--Container.
- DVD 8327
- Forbidden Hollywood collection.
- Five classic films that offer a rare glimpse at a lost era of "pre-code" provocative filmmaking. Disc 1: First, Bill and Jack are railroad men. When Bill comes to stay with Jack and his wife, Bill and Lily fall in love. Jack confronts Bill about his suspicions and the two fight, leaving Jack seriously injured. Last, Joan Gordon is a singer tiring of her relationship with Eddie. She flees to North Dakota to become a mail-order bride. Happiness is threatened by her stubborn husband, a lecherous neighbor and the appearance of Eddie. Disc 2: First, Jenny was orphaned by the 1906 earthquake and fire and has gone on to become the madame of a prosperous bawdy house. After putting her son up for adoption, he becomes a district attorney dedicated to closing down such houses. She kills an underling who wants her son dead and is now facing execution. Last, A mistaken arrest, a prison term, and lack of employment leads to a young woman's involvement with gangsters. In a brothel she meets a wealthy lawyer who falls in love with her. He helps her turn her life around, but her past catches up with her. Now she is on trial for murder. Disc 3: First, A man stands up during a WWI battle and becomes a hero, but he doesn't get the credit. He becomes injuried and soon gets hooked on morphine, causing him to fall apart when he returns home. He eventually marries, but soon the Depression hits. Last, Tom and Ed are high school students whose parents, thanks to the Depression, have lost their jobs. Wanting to help make money, they set off on the rails looking for work. They finally end up in New York and Ed thinks he might have foud a job. Disc 4: Wild Bill: Explores the life and directorial times of William A. Wellman. The men who made the movies: Wellman shares many stories and speaks bluntly of the producers with who he has worked and describes his remarkable star-making and star-spotting abilities. He was responsible for helping actors win Oscars and discovered such notable actors as James Cagney and Gary Cooper.
- DVD 8076