Films & Other Videos
Films with: Bresson, Robert
- Au hasard Balthazar Balthazar /
- Robert Bresson's masterpiece follows a much-abused donkey, Balthazar, whose life strangely parallels that of his owner, Marie. A beast of burden suffering the sins of man, Balthazar nevertheless nobly accepts his fate.
- DVD 4702
- Condamné à mort s'est échappé, ou, Le vent souffle où il veut A man escaped /
- A French Resistance fighter is sent to an infamous prison in Lyon in 1943, where 7,000 of the 12,000 prisoners housed there died either by natural means or by execution. Lt. Fontaine is certain that execution awaits him, and begins planning his escape. For a period of time he goes it alone, but reluctantly takes on a partner. He gets some help from a couple of prisoners allowed to stroll in the exercise yard, but for the most part he is a figure of isolation.
- DVD 3059
- Dames du Bois de Boulogne Ladies of the Bois de Boulogne /
- "Realizing that her lover (Jean) is losing interest in her, a society lady (Helene) gets revenge by tricking him into marrying a former prostitute (Agnes). After the wedding Helene tells a stunned Jean about his wife's secret past, but the ending has more than one surprise twist."
- DVD 2403
- Journal d'un curé de campagne Diary of a country priest /
- A new priest arrives in the French country village of Ambricourt to attend to his first parish. The rural congregation rejects him immediately. Through his country diary entries, the suffering young man relays a crisis of faith that threatens to drive him away from the village and God.
- DVD 3355
- One of the most searing portraits of human desperation ever put on film, as Mouchette a teenage girl must deal with tragic events and a broken family.
- DVD 4686
- Michel, an insignificant man who drifts into crime, is arrested and imprisoned. Upon release, he abandons an attempt at reform when a master pickpocket teaches him his art.
- DVD 4689