Films & Other Videos
Films with: Brasseur, Claude
- Bande à part Band of outsiders /
- Two burglars plan a robbery with a young woman they just met.
- DVD 1743
- Fauteuils d'orchestre Avenue Montaigne /
- Jessica is a beautiful young woman from the provinces who has come to Paris and lands a job waiting tables at a chic bistro on fabled Avenue Montaigne. Jessica's customers include a popular TV actress who is courting a major Hollywood director for her first serious film role; a wealthy art collector who is about to liquidate a lifetime's worth of treasures at auction; and an illustrious classical pianist who is at odds with his manager/wife as to where his career is headed. Precisely because Jessica doesn't know how celebrated these people are, her guileless and completely unintimidated engagement in their lives has a transforming effect on them and ultimately her.
- DVD 6581
- Jean Renoir
- Whirlpool of fate: after the suspicious death of her father a young girl runs away from her brutal uncle and joins a gypsy camp. Nana: A women rises from poverty to become a dance hall queen and courtesan in 1860s Paris, destroying the lives of the men who fall in love with her. Charleston parade: shows the journey of a man in blackface to a post-Apocalyptic Paris, where he meets a girl who teaches him the Charleston, and they leave together in his spaceship. The little match girl: the visions seen by a poor match seller as she lights her matches one by one to keep from freezing to death. La Marseillaise: a dramatization of the French Revolution, from the period immediately preceding it in 1789 up to the first bloody confrontation. The doctor's horrible experiment: experimental fantasy about a Jekyll/Hyde-type psychiatrist/lunatic creating havoc in 1950s Paris. The elusive corporal: set in a German P.O.W. camp in 1940, this is the story of a French corporal who is determined to escape to return to Paris and fight once more.
- DVD 8642
- Jean-Luc Godard
- Passion: A Godard-like director is trying to film a movie in the style of the great painters--Rembrandt, Goya, El Greco. The film is plagued by difficulties as the money for the film begins to run out, he can't seem to find the right lighting and the film has no story. In the middle of this intense situation, he starts a simultaneous affair with two women. Hanna, the owner of the hotel, and Isabelle, a factory worker who is trying to stir up a revolt. First name: Carmen: Carmen, a member of a terrorist gang, seduces the hapless policeman Joseph, who tries to arrest her during a bank robbery. Fleeing together, they hide out with her eccentric uncle until the restless Carmen leads them to an absurd doom. The film is set in contemporary France. Detective: Set amidst the confines of a decaying Parisian hotel, plot is set in motion when a miserably married couple attempt to collect a debt from mob-plagued boxing manager, the mischievously named Jim Fox Warner. Meanwhile, a house detective tries to solve an old murder case. It is a take on modern morality and popular culture. Oh, woe is me: God may have entered the body of Simon to experience love and desire with Simon's wife Rachel; based in part on the Greek legend of Amphitryon. The film is set in a small Swiss town on Lake Geneva.
- DVD 5424