Films & Other Videos
Films with: Bowie, Geoff
- Hospital at the end of the earth
- The Aral Sea used to be one of the world's largest and most productive inland bodies of water until a Soviet plan to turn Central Asia into the greatest cotton producer on Earth destroyed it. Now mostly a sterile lake amidst a desert poisoned by decades of fertilizer and pesticide runoff, the Aral Sea, itself ruined, is ruining the lives of people who still live near it. This program details the irreversible damage to the ecosystem and the resulting health problems being faced by the remaining inhabitants of the region. "The Aral Sea and the tragic plight of its people is not a freak, isolated event, but a crisis that is just slightly ahead of its time," says David Suzuki. -- Container.
- DVD 2790
- Strand under the dark cloth /
- An overview of the life and career of photographer Paul Strand. Features Strand's most famous photographs, clips from his films, and interviews with his wife, friends, and collaborators.
- DVD 2960
- When is enough, enough?
- The story of the Mikisew Cree's challenge to the expansion of the oil sands industry. The Cree are worried about the scale and rate of expansion planned for the Athabasca oil sands, with its effect on the environment and their way of life. Scientists on the Mikisew Cree's technical panel at public hearings point to flaws in the environmental impact assessments.
- DVD 3993