Films & Other Videos
Films with: Boulez, Pierre
- Labyrinth of time
- Shows Carter's musical development using New York City as a metaphor for our democratic society. Daniel Barenboim, Charles Rosen and Pierre Boulez give their views on Carter's music.
- DVD 5775
- Pelléas et Mélisande
- Tragic story of Golaud, his marriage to the long-haired Mélisande, her subsequent love for Pélleas, and their deaths.
- DVD 3304
- Pierre Boulez conductor /
- "The astonishingly precise ear for pitch and sonority that has made Pierre Boulez a leading composer and a trenchant conductor of contemporary music is one secret of his success as a performer of Debussy. It surely helps that, as a fellow French musician, he understands the language of his great predecessor. On this film footage, Boulez is seen working on Fêtes and Jeux and conducting the three varied pieces that make up the Images. His legendary sense of rhythm comes into play in Stravinsky's The rite of spring, and his is the ideal interpreter for Schoenberg's Accompaniment to a cinematographic scene, op. 34"--Container.
- DVD 9157
- Pierre Boulez Eclat ; Sur incises /
- (Film 1) Eclat (52 min.) is a study of resonance written for fifteen instruments that Boulez created in 1965. The musicians play semi-improvisational material prescribed within "boxes" in Boulez's score. (Film 2) In A Lesson By Pierre Boulez (50 min.), the composer explains the hidden architecture of his work "Sur Incises" to a non-specialized young audience. He talks about his work as a composer and explains the musical movements that make up its construction. (Film 3) Boulez conducts "Sur Incises."
- DVD 5779
- Ring des Nibelungen a stage festival drama for three days and a preliminary evening, produced at the Bayreuth Festspielhaus /
- An allegory telling the mythic tale of the battle for power between the Nibelung dwarfs, the giants and the gods.
- DVD 7767