Films & Other Videos
Films with: Blech, Hans Christian
- Affaire Blum the Blum affair /
- "Based on a real case in Magdeburg during the Weimar Republic. The Jewish manufacturer Jacob Blum is framed for the murder of his accountant due to the accusations of Gabler, a thief and dealer of stolen goods. Anti-Semitic prosecutors accept these accusations, as they believe all Jews are criminals. Even with evidence indicating the crime was committed by Gabler, the prosecutors refuse to change their stance. Blum's only hope is a commissar in Berlin, who takes over the investigation and finds the real murderer."--Container.
- DVD 7956
- Oberst Redl Colonel Redl /
- "In the early part of the 20th Century, Alfred Redl ruthlessly rises from his peasant background to become a high-ranking member of the Imperial Austrian military. But when Redl is sent to spy on the Russian Empire, his espionage is compromised by his secret double life as a homosexual. As the world perches on the brink of was, Redl finds himself trapped in a web of deception where honor, grandeur and greed can only be betrayed by one final shocking act of fate" -- Container. German with optional English subtitles.
- DVD 1754
- Road trilogy Alice in the cities ; Wrong move ; Kings of the road /
- "In the 1970s, Wim Wenders was among the first true international breakthrough artists of the revolutionary New German Cinema movement, a filmmaker whose fascination with the physical landscapes and emotional contours of the open road proved to be universal. In the middle of that decade, Wenders embarked on a three-film journey that took him from the wide roads of Germany to the endless highways of the United States and back again. Each starring Rüdiger Vogler as the director's alter ego, Alice in the Cities, Wrong Move, and Kings of the Road are dramas of emotional transformation that follow their characters' searches for themselves, all rendered with uncommon soulfulness and visual poetry."--Box. Alice in the Cities: A German journalist is driving across the United States to research an article; it's disappointing trip, during which he is unable to truly connect with what he sees. Things change, however, when he has no choice but to take a young girl named Alice with him on his return trip to Germany, after her mother- whom he just met- leaves the child in his care. Wrong Move: The story of an aimless writer who leaves his hometown to find himself and winds up befriending a group of other travelers. Seeking inspiration to help him escape his creative funk, he instead discovers the limits of attempts to refashion one's identity. Kings of the Road: A roving film projector repairman saves the life of depressed psychologist who has driven his Volkswagen into a river, and they end up on the road together, traveling from one rural German movie to another. Along the way, the two men, each running from his past, bond over their shared loneliness.
- DVD 12827