Films & Other Videos
Films with: Barthelmess, Richard
- Broken blossoms, or, The yellow man and the girl
- This is one of Griffith's most widely acclaimed films, using a new style of lighting and photography to stress intimate character relationships rather than spectacle. A young Chinaman in London's squalid Limehouse district hopes to spread the peaceful philosophy of his Eastern religion. He befriends a pitiful street waif who is mistreated by her brutal father. The result is tragedy.
- DVD 830
- Forbidden Hollywood collection.
- Five classic films that offer a rare glimpse at a lost era of "pre-code" provocative filmmaking. Disc 1: First, Bill and Jack are railroad men. When Bill comes to stay with Jack and his wife, Bill and Lily fall in love. Jack confronts Bill about his suspicions and the two fight, leaving Jack seriously injured. Last, Joan Gordon is a singer tiring of her relationship with Eddie. She flees to North Dakota to become a mail-order bride. Happiness is threatened by her stubborn husband, a lecherous neighbor and the appearance of Eddie. Disc 2: First, Jenny was orphaned by the 1906 earthquake and fire and has gone on to become the madame of a prosperous bawdy house. After putting her son up for adoption, he becomes a district attorney dedicated to closing down such houses. She kills an underling who wants her son dead and is now facing execution. Last, A mistaken arrest, a prison term, and lack of employment leads to a young woman's involvement with gangsters. In a brothel she meets a wealthy lawyer who falls in love with her. He helps her turn her life around, but her past catches up with her. Now she is on trial for murder. Disc 3: First, A man stands up during a WWI battle and becomes a hero, but he doesn't get the credit. He becomes injuried and soon gets hooked on morphine, causing him to fall apart when he returns home. He eventually marries, but soon the Depression hits. Last, Tom and Ed are high school students whose parents, thanks to the Depression, have lost their jobs. Wanting to help make money, they set off on the rails looking for work. They finally end up in New York and Ed thinks he might have foud a job. Disc 4: Wild Bill: Explores the life and directorial times of William A. Wellman. The men who made the movies: Wellman shares many stories and speaks bluntly of the producers with who he has worked and describes his remarkable star-making and star-spotting abilities. He was responsible for helping actors win Oscars and discovered such notable actors as James Cagney and Gary Cooper.
- DVD 8076
- Only angels have wings
- Story of the men working for a South American mail and freight business in the 1930's. They are trying to win a lucrative government contract to carry mail, and must perform satisfactorily despite bad weather, injuries, poor cash flow and a woman trying to win the boss's heart.
- DVD 445
- Tol'able David
- A close-knit family in an idyllic West Virginia community is terrorized by three outlaw relatives.
- DVD 640
- Way down East
- Melodrama about a young woman who is lured into a fake marriage, becomes pregnant and is abandoned. She moves to a small town and falls in love with a wealthy but humble man, but cannot escape her scandalous past.
- DVD 586