Films & Other Videos
Films with: Balabanov, Alekseĭ
- Brat Brother /
- "Danila Bagrov, just demobbed from the army, returns to his quiet, provincial home town. But life is monotonous and boring in this Russian backwoods, so he is heading for faraway Petersburg, to his elder brother who, as he heard, is doing quite well there and might help his darling little brother to start a new life. On his arrival in Petersburg, Danila discovers that his brother is indeed doing well, having mastered the profession of a contract killer. And Danila decides to follow suit."--Container.
- DVD 4662
- Gruz 200 Cargo 200 /
- In 1984, in provincial Russia, the daughter of a communist party regional secretary is kidnapped and abused by a police officer. Meanwhile there is a brutal murder nearby, and military corpses return from Afghanistan. Based on actual events, an unflinching portrait of the decline of the Soviet era.
- DVD 6715
- Pro urodov i li︠u︡deĭ Of freaks and men /
- "Explores the seamy underside of the early 20th century upper classes."--Container.
- DVD 3611
- Sergei Eisenstein. Avtobiografiya Sergei Eisenstein, autobiography /
- Based on Eisenstein's memoirs, this autobiographical film reflects the inner world of the great Russian film director during the tragic years of two Russian revolutions and the Stalin terror. The film follows Eisenstein on a long voyage abroad which he started in 1929, and presents transformed episodes from Eisenstein's films and his contemporaries, as well as rare archival shots of Eisenstein himself presented with a soundtrack of Eisenstein's reminiscences, which are sometimes very personal.
- DVD 3458
- War Fan kong zhan xian /
- A Siberian soldier leads a British actor into war-torn Chechnya to rescue the latter's girlfriend from Islamic extremists.
- DVD 6404