Films & Other Videos
Films with: Bailey, Derek
- Chinese cracker the making of The peony pavilion in Shanghai, New York and Paris /
- "Written by 16th-century Chinese playwright Tang Xianzu, The peony pavilion is a 19-hour epic opera in 57 episodes that tells a story of youth and love literally triumphing over death. This program follows director Chen Shi-Zheng and the Shanghai Kunju Opera Troupe in their monumental effort of staging the entire production, an event that had not occurred in nearly four centuries. Despite resistance by the Chinese government and the project's inherent difficulties, the debut at the Lincoln Center was an overwhelming success. Coverage of rehearsals, set construction, and costume preparation is combined with interviews with Chen Shi-Zheng and his musical director Zhou Ming, who place this masterpiece in its historical and cultural context"--Container.
- DVD 7690
- Elisir d'amore a comic opera in two acts after the comedy by Scribe "Le Philtre" /
- L'elisir d'amore is a comic opera about a young man who drinks a "magic" potion to make the girl he desires fall in love with him. The documentary presents a fascinating "behind-the-scenes" look at the staging, rehearsal and recording of Frank Dunlop's celebrated production.
- DVD 3155
- Nozze di Figaro
- A battle of the sexes, loaded with confusion, mixed identities, a boy dressed up as a girl, and hilarious dialogue with plenty of double entendre. The impending marriage of Figaro to Susanna is threatened by the scheming of Count Almaviva, who desires Susanna for himself, and Marcellina, who wants to marry Figaro herself. All problems are resolved with the help of Countess Almaviva, and the couple are able to marry.
- DVD 5861