Films & Other Videos
Films with: Azmi, Shabana
- In a barren, arranged marriage to an amateur swami who seeks enlightenment through celibacy, Radha's life takes an irresistible turn when her beautiful young sister-in-law seeks to free herself from the confines of her own loveless marriage and [falls] into the supple embrace of Radha."--Container.
- DVD 5626
- Reluctant fundamentalist
- When an American academic in Pakistan is kidnapped by anti-American radicals, the CIA thinks popular young Pakistani professor Changez is involved. But as Changez tells his story about his life in the US to an American foreign correspondent, the truth becomes harder to pin down.
- DVD 10311
- Shatranj ke khilari Chess players /
- This drama about colonialism and indigenous culture is set in 1856 at the court of Wajid Ali Shah in Lucknow, the capital of Oudh. Features two parallel narratives. The first shows rich landowners Meer and Mirza pour every ounce of passion into a never-ending game of chess. Without thinking of their responsibilities to their families and the political uprising in the kingdom, the two men just keep playing. The second narrative dramatises the conflict between Wajid Ali Shah and General James Outram who represents Lord Dalhousie's treacherously implemented annexation policies. Wajid Ali is shown as a politically weak figure who surrenders to the British without a fight.
- DVD 4252
- Umrao Jaan
- Story of the life of a courtesan in 19th century Lucknow. When Umrao Jaan decides not to dance for people any longer, she finds it difficult to escape from the world she lives in.
- DVD 5973