Films & Other Videos
Films with: Aung-Thwin, Mila
- Last train home Gui tu lie che /
- Every spring, China's cities are plunged into chaos as an astonishing 130 million migrant workers journey to their home villages for the New Year's holiday. This mass exodus is the largest human migration on the planet, an epic spectacle that reveals a country tragically caught between its rural past and industrial future. Working over several years in classic verite, Chinese-Canadian filmmaker Lixin Fan travels with one couple who have embarked on this annual trek for almost two decades.
- DVD 7913
- Rip! a remix manifesto /
- Explores the complexities of intellectual property in the era of peer-to-peer file sharing. Interviews key figures in the debate, including Gregg Gillis, the Pittsburgh biomedical engineer who moonlights as Girl Talk, a mash-up artist rearranging the pop chart's DNA with his incongruous, entirely sample-based songs. A mash-up in itself, this shatters the wall between users and producers, and challenges the thresholds of 'fair use.'
- DVD 9779
- Taqwacore the birth of punk Islam /
- "Taqwacore chronicles the nascent Muslim punk rock movement in America. It was inspired by the work of Michael Knight, a convert to Islam who wrote the novel The Taqwacores (a term combining the Muslim concept of God consciousness with hardcore punk). ... The film follows Knight and a variety of young subversives on tour as they shock and awe spectators in the U.S. before bringing their music to Lahore. They break every taboo along the way ... "--Container.
- DVD 9839