Films & Other Videos
Films with: Almereyda, Michael
- Complete Jean Vigo
- 'Even among cinema's greatest legends, Jean Vigo stands alone. The son of a notorious anarchist, Vigo had a brief but brilliant career making poetic, lightly surrealist films before his life was cut tragically short by tuberculosis at age twenty-nine. Like the daring early works of his contemporaries Jean Cocteau and Luis Buñuel, Vigo's films refused to play by the rules. This set includes all of Vigo's titles' -- Container. À propos de Nice: What starts off as a conventional travelogue turnes into a satirical portrait of the town of Nice on the French Côte d'azur, and its wealthy inhabitants. Taris: A short documentary about the swimmer Jean Taris, notable for Vigo's innovative techniques Zéro de conduite: In a repressive boarding school with rigid schools of behavior, four boys decide to rebel against the administration on a celebration day. L'Atalante: When Juliette marries Jean, she comes to live on his ship, on board of which are, besides the two of them, only a cabin boy and the strange old second mate Père Jules. Soon bored by life on the river, Juliette slips off to explore the nightlife when they come to Paris. Angered by this, Jean sets off, leaving Juliette behind. Overcome by grief and longing for his wife, Jean falls into a depression and Père Jules goes and tries to find Juliette.
- DVD 10242
- A contemporary adaptation of Shakespeare's epic story of passion, betrayal and revenge. The president of the Denmark Corporation is dead, and already his wife is remarried to the man suspected of his murder. No one is more troubled by this than her son, Hamlet. Now, after this hostile takeover, trust is impossible, passion is on the rise and vengeance is in the air.
- DVD 2462
- On the waterfront
- Marlon Brando gives the performance of his career as the tough prizefighter-turned-longshoreman Terry Malloy in this raggedly emotional tale of individual failure and institutional corruption. This film charts Terry's deepening moral crisis as he must choose whether to remain loyal to the mob-connected union boss Johnny Friendly and Johnny's right-hand man, Terry's brother, Charley, as the authorities close in on them.
- DVD 11992
- This so-called disaster Sam Shepard directs "The late Henry Moss" /
- It's three weeks until Sam Shepard's "The late Henry Moss" opens at the Magic theatre in San Francisco ... and tensions are rising between the shows stars Sean Penn, Nick Nolte and Woody Harrelson. As sparks begin to fly between their characters, they set off a powderkeg of emotions so explosive that the actors themselves are drawn into the fray.
- DVD 7399
- A pair of siblings from London purchases a surprisingly affordable, lonely cliff-top house in Cornwall, only to discover that it actually carries a ghostly price soon they're caught up in a bizarre romantic triangle from beyond the grave. A tragic family past, a mysteriously locked room, cold chills, bumps in the night-this gothic Hollywood classic has it all.
- DVD 9989
- William Eggleston in the real world
- The film shows a deep connection between Eggleston's enigmatic personality and his groundbreaking work, and also reveals his parallel commitments as a musician, draftsman, and videographer. Eggleston at age 65 become an icon and inspiration to artists.
- DVD 6554