Films & Other Videos
Films with: Aleksandrov, Grigoriĭ Vasilʹevich
- Avant-garde experimental cinema of the 1920s and '30s.
- Twenty-five short films selected from the avant garde movement of the 1920's and 1930's.
- DVD 3807
- Battleship Potemkin Bronenoset︠s︡ Potemkin /
- Potemkin re-creats the 1905 mutiny on the battleship "Prince Potemkin." It focuses a mutiny by the battleship's crew and the subsequent massacre of civilians - that reflects the spirit of the times.
- DVD 43
- Landmarks of early Soviet film 4 disc DVD collection of 8 groundbreaking films /
- "This groundbreaking collection features eight seminal films from the Soviet silent era - all are new to DVD"--www.flickeralley.com. The house on Trubnaya: Comedy about a young peasant woman who travels to Moscow to start a new life. By the law: Tense drama about Alaskan gold-miners. Extraordinary adventures of Mr. West in the land of the Bolsheviks: The first Russian anti-American film both arrogantly mocks American ignorance toward the Soviet Union and enviously copies American cinematic methods. Old and new: In this early Soviet propaganda film, a poor woman persuades her fellow villagers to form a cooperative. Stride Soviet!: Documentary exploration of the various layers of Moscow society on the ten-year anniversary of the Revolution. The film reveals the continuing class-based nature of Soviet society through a series of montages of city life. The fall of the Romanov dynasty: Historical documentary which uses newsreel footage (some shot by Czar Nicholas II's own cameramen) to depict the tumultuous events of 1912 through 1917, as the leadership of the Czar and the Russian aristocracy crumbles and Lenin rises to power in the wake of the Soviet Revolution. Turksib: Soviet documentary on the building of the first railroad across the Asian continent from Turkestan to Siberia. Salt for Svanetia: Explores the Caucasus region of Svanetia, a remote, mountainous area where the Ushkul tribe still lives in a stone-age culture.
- DVD 10327
- October 1917
- The events leading up to the Russian revolution of October 1917; the period of Kerensky's provisional government until the organized rising of the proletariat.
- DVD 337
- Qué viva México! Da zdravstvuet Meksika /
- [Que viva México!] "With sequences devoted to the Edenic land of Tehuantepec, the savage majesty of the bullfight, the struggles of the noble peon and the hypnotic imagery of the Day of the Dead, [the film] is a vivid tapestry of Mexican life. [Romance sentimentale] A dazzling symphony of images and sounds. [Misery and fortune of woman] Uses Soviet-style montage to promote safe ob/gyn medicine in Europe."--Container.
- DVD 2381
- Stachka Strike /
- Story of a strike by factory workers in Tsarist Russia which is brutally suppressed.
- DVD 2816