Films & Other Videos
Films with: Ak̲h̲tar, Jāvīd
- 1942, a love story 1942, eka lava stori /
- Set against the historical backdrop of the "Quit India Movement" during India's struggle for independence, this romantic story portrays the martyrdom of freedom fighters and the sacrifices that common folk as well as the elite were willing to make in the national cause. The turbulence of August 1942 was remarkable for the violence meted out by the British to curb the momentum the independence movement had gained.
- DVD 5963
- This film is about two brothers, one a cop and the other a criminal. The brothers share a mutual adoration for their mother and though they care for each other end up at odds due to their respective roles.
- DVD 5835
- In this film, India's best-known "curry" western, two small-time crooks are hired by an ex-cop, Thakur, to stop the tyranny of Gabbar Singh who massacred Thakur's family. It is also the story of a village that realizes non-violence does not mean cowardice, but that it can stand up to terror and lawlessness.
- DVD 3751
- Umrao Jaan
- Story of the life of a courtesan in 19th century Lucknow. When Umrao Jaan decides not to dance for people any longer, she finds it difficult to escape from the world she lives in.
- DVD 5973
- Zubeidā Zubeidaa /
- The story of a young man's quest to recover the memory of the mother he never knew and to piece together her life from the memories of those who knew her.
- DVD 3798