Music & Other Recordings
CDs with: Reagon, Bernice Johnson
- African American community gospel.
- Jesus is on the mainline (Gospel Harmonettes) (5:15) -- Ye that without sin, cast the first stone (Brother John Hale) (2:33) -- Nobody knows the trouble I see (3:38) ; A charge to keep I have (4:13) (Poole Brothers) -- There'll be singing over yonder (Century Gospel Singers) (1:23) -- Nearer, my God, to thee (Four Eagles Quartet) (3:19) -- Put your trust in Jesus (Angelic Harmonizers) (4:28) -- Who'll be a witness (for my Lord?) (Golden Gates Quartet) (4:49) -- Lead me, guide me (4:02) ; God is so good to me (6:12) (Rev. Donald Vails and the Celebration Delegation) -- Couldn't hear nobody pray (Bernice Johnson Reagon) (1:46) -- Peace in the valley (Henry Davis Singers) (5:02) -- Hold to God's unchanging hand (Union Temple Baptist Church) (7:04) -- Let all the people praise Him (St. Augustine Catholic Church Gospel Choir) (4:06) -- Yes, Lord (Church of God in Christ chant) (Bible Way Temple Radio Choir) (:59).
- CD 893
- African American congregational singing : nineteenth-century roots.
- Sign of the judgement (4:34) ; Lay down body (2:59) (McIntosh County Shouters) -- Lay down body (1:29) ; Run, Mary, run, you got a right to the tree of life (2:30) (Seniorlites) -- One morning soon (Rev. C.J. Johnson) (:43) -- I wanna go where Jesus is (4:55) ; You better run to the city of refuge (3:09) (Rev. C.J. Johnson and family) -- I heard the voice of Jesus say (5:48) ; Give me Jesus (3:55) ; I am a soldier in the army of the Lord (5:59) (United Southern Prayer Band of Baltimore, Washington and Virginia) -- Am I a soldier of the cross? (Richard Allen Singers with Theodore King) (6:12) -- Early, my God, without delay (Richard Allen Singers) (3:57) -- Come and go to that land (congregational song) (2:53) -- Glory, glory, hallelujah, since I laid my burden down (4:07) ; A charge to keep I have (4:27) ; Traditional prayer with moans (9:45) ; Sit down servant (2:04) (Blue Spring Missionary Baptist Association Delegation, Southwest Georgia).
- CD 891
- African American gospel : the pioneering composers.
- Stand by me (Lou Bell Johnson) (3:21) -- We'll understand it better by and by (Toshi Reagon) (2:57) -- What are they doing in heaven today? (Bernice Johnson Reagon, Yasmeen, and Michelle Lanchester) (5:43) -- Something within (Rev. Eugene Smallwood) (4:17) -- He'll understand and say well done (Donald Vails and the Celebration Delegation, Debbie Steele Hayden, solo lead) (3:23) -- Touch me, Lord Jesus (Michelle Lanchester, Bernice Johnson Reagon, and Yasmeen) (3:03) -- It's a highway to heaven (Walking up the King's highway) (Rev. Donald Vails and the Celebration Congregation) (1:43) -- Little wooden church on a hill (Rev. Eugene Smallwood) (5:04) -- I was standing by the bedside of a neighbor (If you see my Savior) (Michelle Lanchester with Sweet Honey in the Rock) (3:19) -- How I got over (Richard Allen Singers) (3:03) -- Speak to me Jesus (Sweet Honey in the Rock trio) (5:14) -- Does Jesus care? (Horace C. Boyer, Donald Vails and the Celebration Delegation) (3:48). (cont.): Just a closer walk with thee (Sweet Honey in the Rock) (4:13) -- God is still on the throne (Donald Vails and the Celebration Congregation, with William Boyd) (5:43) -- God specializes (Gloria Griffin, with Donald Vails and the Celebration Congregation) (7:16) -- Precious Lord (Carolyn Bolger-Payne of the Philadelphia Ambassadors) (3:50).
- CD 892
- African American spirituals : the concert tradition.
- There is a balm in Gilead (5:49) -- We shall walk through the valley in peace (3:11) -- Roll, Jordan, roll (2:12) -- I've been buked and I've been scorned (4:34) -- Swing low, sweet chariot (2:43) -- Joshua fit de battle (2:21) -- Wade in the water (2:21) -- Deep river (2:52) -- Listen to the lambs (5:19) -- Everytime I feel the Spirit (1:37) -- Oh freedom (2:06) -- Gospel train (2:23) -- I'm a-rolling through an unfriendly world (5:32) -- Sometimes I feel like a motherless child (5:26) -- Steal away (5:32) -- Go in the wilderness (3:43) -- Ezekiel saw the wheel (2:15) -- Ain't got time to die (2:42) -- Wade in the water (2:05).
- CD 890